Monday, 12 January 2015

The Kettle

Here's a little piece of genius advice.  If you don't want to spend money then don't go anywhere near shops - online or in the virtual world I may add.  They're dangerous beasties. Keeping out of temptation's way is the best way to save loads and loads of wonga.

Of course, there's an obvious flaw here.  I need to shop for essentials like food and cleaning materials and those planned one off purchases. I'm looking for a very beautiful fruit bowl at the moment to add a gorgeous splash of colour to the table in the motorhome.  So I nip into the charity shops just in case I spot exactly what I'm after.

I didn't know that I needed a kettle until I saw this gorgeous one in Aldi when I popped in to buy some cooking oil on Saturday.  It's so gloriously chunky and would have looked stunning sitting on my gas burner.    At £14.99 it was an absolute bargain.  Had there been any grey ones left that would have been my first colour choice but the red one would have complemented my van colour scheme very adequately indeed.

But hang on a cotton picking minute!  I've already got a kettle.  You may have seen it before when I showed you around my gaff.  Granted it's not the prettiest utensil in the world but it heats up quickly and whistles in a friendly fashion when my water has boiled.   There was no thought of replacing it until I saw the shiny new contender, just by chance.  It's a want not a need.

Our flights to the USA later in the year will cost £1,500.  By resisting that impulse purchase I've saved 1% towards the cost already.  Not shedloads I know but its a start.  Unlike in previous years, I haven't set any particular spending rules for 2015.  Do I need it? Do I want it?  Just because an item isn't an absolute essential doesn't mean that its completely off the card.  It's just that those type of buys must be thought about very carefully indeed!


6 comments:

  1. Well resisted! The problem with resisting Aldi impulse buys is the voice telling you that they only have things for a day or two...but I have got much better at talking it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The psychology is all very clever. x

      Delete
  2. My Mum bought us a lovely new kettle and toaster for Christmas. I'd seen them months earlier and told her about how well I'd done at resisting temptation. She remembered and bought them for us! They are orange and make me smile whenever I see them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it will be my next Secret Santa present then! x

      Delete
  3. I too would like a new kettle for the motorhome. We have a small (cheap one) for when we have to use the gas but another (equally rough looking) electric one which is low wattage and we have used for most of the last 18 months so has given us really good service. We did purchase (well exchange for tokens) a fan heater, toaster and larger flask to make our life considerably easier but I cannot justify buying a new kettle either - however lovely it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not surprised you find that kettle beautiful. It is so pretty. If it heats quickly, then you got it quite cheaply. I have seen similar ones that cost much more. The only reservations I have with such kettles is the difficulty of washing them. Sometimes you are forced to use citric acid to get rid of the limescale

    Lisa @ Westinghouse Small Appliances

    ReplyDelete