Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Words from the Bakerloo Line

The girl who has, in the past, professed to dislike poetry, has caved in again.  A particular teacher at school ingrained this rather ridiculous notion into my head over thirty years ago. She had a fondness for the World War I Poets whose work she read  in a dour monotone.   We then picked each line apart until the meaning of the whole was lost.  No wonder I was put off.

'Poems featured in Tube carriages have been a bit hit with the public over 25 years'.  Perhaps it's because they provide respite from endlessly being bombarded by advertising. Who knows?  This one, in my train carriage last week, stopped me in my tracks.  Mrs Simpson would have approved for it's by Edward Thomas who died in action at the Battle of Arras in 1917.  Short and so powerful, it speaks for itself without detailed analysis.

The flowers left thick at nightfall in the wood
This Eastertide call into mind the men,Now far from home, who, with their sweethearts, shouldHave gathered them and will do never again. 





1 comment:

  1. It ought to be prominently displayed in the Houses of Parliament...

    ReplyDelete