Thursday, 26 February 2015

Mr Hall's Balls

No luck in finding hidden treasure to sell on in the charity shops of Totnes yesterday lunchtime to boost my Five Pound Challenge profits. Bah! Maybe it was because I was accompanied by Mr Metrosexual who was putting me off.  As a result of all that hill walking my tummy felt as empty as my shopping bag. Time for a little consolatory snack!

Totnes has a plethora of little shops and a lovely market on a Friday. There's rich pickings to create a reasonable priced lunch that knocks the spots off a limp supermarket sandwich.....or Scotch egg.

In fact I didn't even realise that I liked Scotch eggs until I tried the offering from Hall's, a butcher on Fore Street that's so traditional it doesn't have a website.  These are lush.  Beautifully seasoned beasties made out of good quality ingredients.  There's no designer food price tag here either, as this little sphere shaped feast set me back just a quid.   Some days they're even more sublime than others. They're freshly made on the premises and are sold warm.  Yum!

6 comments:

  1. You can still buy good food at excellent prices if you know where to look. There's a chap at Ludlow market occasionally, who sells a fantastic homemade chocolate brownie and a sausage roll made with chestnuts and apricots in the mix for just £1.50 the two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounding good. Mr Hall's sausage roll is a fine thing too. x

      Delete
  2. I haven't had Scotch Eggs in years, they are not a thing that is made in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to take some over then when we visit Vancouver to feed the locals! x

      Delete
  3. Not into the Scotch eggs but insanely envious of you being able to pop into Totnes, my favourite place in the UK. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I'm a bit lucky to be working here. Must be good or wouldn't have stayed in same job for eleven years! x

      Delete