Thursday, 19 February 2015

Singing to Remember




One of the services that the Alzheimer's Society provide is Singing for the Brain for people with dementia.    So that I could tell those that I work with what it's like, I attended a session once on a Friday afternoon.  I enjoyed it so much that it felt like a jolly. I really believed that I'd bunked off early and wasn't undertaking a bit of work related research at all.   It felt like I was having a proper singing lesson and even though it was evident that many people attending had significant cognitive impairment they were still able to participate in the activity to the full. The bit of the brain that remembers music is often preserved long after other memories have faded.

A friend of mine shared this on Facebook yesterday and I am pleased to be able to pass it on.  It gives a taster of just how wonderful and life affirming this activity is.  Ian Calvert, the vocalist, was inspired to write the song after seeing how dementia impacted on the life his own father in law and other members of his family.  The choir is made up of members of  Plymouth Singing for the Brain groups. Please think about  spending a few pennies and   downloading the song from the link here . In doing so you'll contribute to the work of one of my favourite charities.




1 comment:

  1. There is a singing group just outside my area and I wanted to take my mum but she just didn't enjoy music. I don't know why. I think it's a great idea and something that can be done together that's entertaining and a little relief from the strains of caring.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete