Sunday, 22 February 2015

The Five Pound Challenge!

Last week's episode of Saturday Live on Radio 4 got me thinking.  It featured a young guy called Alan Radbourne who'd turned £1 that he'd found in a car park into over £20,000 in just a year. He started off buying a bottle of washing up liquid and doing the dirty dishes for his mates as they were leaving their university accommodation for a donation.  He then wheeled, dealed and worked to grow that quid. By doing so he showed that you don't need a huge initial sum to start a business or invest.

Yesterday I set a similar challenge for the girls.  As we're all working professionals we decided the start up capital could be higher - a whole fiver in fact.  I set off to the charity shops to see if I could find something to sell on Ebay.  Alas!  My search was in vain.  Nothing caught my fancy sufficiently for me to be confident that I could turn a profit.

I was itching to get started so did something rash and foolish.  Recklessly I 'invested' a pound in one of those 2p pushing machines in an amusement arcade on the pier.   That's after telling Louis that feeding coins into one  of those things is a very stupid thing to do.  Nowt good can come of it.

Except that it did.  Coins cascaded into the collection area with a satisfying chink.  Instead of feeding them all back into the slot as I normally do, for after all it's really just a bit of fun,  I popped my winnings that amounted to £1.10 into my purse which now weighs as much as my head. That's a two per cent return on my initial capital in just a day!

I'm starting day two in pole position with £5.10.  Please be reassured that I'm not heading back down the pier ever again in the next year.  Or heading off to the gee gees.  I'll be taking my initial investment and those ill gotten gains and seeing if I can find a secondhand something in the South Hams charity shops this week that might grow that money a little bit more.

7 comments:

  1. Alan Radbourne's success caught my imagination too, think his initaial 'luck' was later fuelled by lots of hard work, though. That's not to say we can't do it too! Hope the rest of your weekend is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting...I love this sort of an idea/challenge. There was a chap who did something similiar but by bartering. His starting point was a red paper clip and in the end he had a house.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of using creative thinking to your advantage. I could sell my shopping bags :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! This is the sort of challenge I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your challenge…I shall hope to read that your fiver is increasing in value daily!! Perhaps you will end up buying a house too….see Aril.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a whole lot of hard work involved in that challenge, perhaps I should give it a go. Think how much it would help my charity of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck - let us know how the challenge develops! Jx

    ReplyDelete