Wednesday, 4 March 2015

A Fifth of an Aardvark

For the first time in ages I'm having an arty spell. Not that I've really got time for it being wrapped up in work, study, child guidance, cycle maintenance and  planning for a party and transatlantic trip.  But sometimes it's right and proper to make time to do something that you really love.  I should know that. After all I'm an occupational therapist and the idea of activity as therapeutic is a belief that runs through my being like a pencil lead.  It's so important to live by what you preach.

I've kept that early New Year's resolution back in December to return to do a course at the Double Elephant Print Workshop in Exeter.  Its name is derived from an old system for sizing paper. Isn't it lovely? Wouldn't it be wonderful to expand on this and redefine all those boring A4 and B5 sheets in terms of the similarity of their dimensions to  animal volume.  Half a Squirrel perhaps or Triple Weasel.  The possibilities, as I heard a slightly pissed person tell his mate  once at a Pizza Hut salad bar, are endless.

My first weeks offerings are not up to showing in public. The half decent monoprint that I produced didn't photograph well.  The other?  Well, that came out like a particularly nasty 1980s wallpaper sample, its ugliness further enhanced as it looked as if it were covered in Shreddies!  I'm hoping to be able to show off something that I'm way more proud of later down the line.

In the meantime let me show you someone else's art.  No printmaking as I am way too random to keep to subject but papercutting.  Louis and I are blown away by the work of the Maude White.  Here's a link to her website and she can also has an Etsy shop.  We  found her by chance as we were looking for examples of laser cut work for a design and technology project.  A happy accident really as her paper carvings are all produced by hand, an amazing feat given their complexity and fragility.  It's hard to pick a favourite but I've come up with a couple that we both like, including one with an elephant, albeit a single one.  There you go.  I haven't gone so far off theme!

10 comments:

  1. They're really beautiful...how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a surgical scalpel on one of those self healing rubber mats. x

      Delete
    2. The paper on the mat not me that it. The other way round sounds way weird!

      Delete
  2. PS...now I've read it properly, they are laser cuts. Initially, I thought they were prints you made at your workshop. Hope you enjoy it. Creating is FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that she hand cuts them. TThat's what makes it more impressive. x

      Delete
  3. The paper cuts are amazing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so brilliant...I am always amazed at what others can achieve.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puts my snowflake cuts to shame. You can almost feel the softness of the feather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how intricate they are, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was at art college, I used to climb the marble staircase to the rotunda and purchase my double elephants there. It was a beautiful building and I have an abiding love for good paper.

    Good luck in your crafting.

    ReplyDelete