Sunday, 8 March 2015

My New Boyfriend

I'm not a motorsport fan but am dead impressed when, during a Formula One race, a poorly car gets revitalised in a pitstop in about five seconds.  How do they do it? My own mechanical skills are sadly lacking and anything that I do is at a much slower pace and somewhere along the line  inevitably involves mayhem.

Remember a few months back when I was in France and my bike tyre got a puncture? Well, I tried to mend it without success.   Be blowed if  I could find where the hole was.  I pumped the tyre back up and it was as flat as a pancake again within minutes.  A leaky valve perhaps. Who knows?   I decided to treat myself to a new inner tube to see if that would rectify the problem. So off I popped down to Halfords and it was a revelation.  A whole wall of inner tubes including some rather expensive ones that repair themselves.  How do they do that?  Perhaps there's a flat elf embedded in them who  pops up and comes to life to fix the hole when it happens.  Who knows.  As Louis would say 'Is it magic?'  Anyway I was suitably impressed and bought a matching pair and a repair thingy that goes on a keyring for emergencies that might happen when I'm out and about.  For after all I was a guide and our motto was 'Be Prepared' even if you don't know what to do with the equipment that you've brought for emergency use.

Yesterday was gorgeous.  Just the weather for  working outside on the bike.   I'd replace those inner tubes and solve some squeaking.  Who needs a bloke to do these things for you?  I soon found out that having one around might have been very handy indeed.  I managed to get my chain in knots and things went pear-shaped with the brakes.  A pad fell off and the back ones firmly stuck themselves on permanently.   I managed to cover myself and a favourite creamy coloured T-shirt in grease and there was oil everywhere.  Where's a man when you want one!!!!!!!!

And  what do you know?  I found one.  Not some campsite lothario. They're extremely thin on the ground. No, here's  the very cute and unfeasibly young Jacob who I soon two-timed as Jesse came along,  At some time during the afternoon I also flirted heavily with a nice Irishman who was nearer my age.   Thank you boys.  You've taught me skills for life.  Even though I get into a bit of a tangle I can now remove wheels, insert inner tubes correctly and adjust brakes so that they don't squeak anymore.  So now you're all chucked.  I have no further need for you!

7 comments:

  1. Be nice to them! You may require their services again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops forgot that it's not really okay to treat 'em mean! x

      Delete
    2. Six hours on and I needed help again. Gear change wasn't very smooth. I skipped advise from portly unattractive man. Am I shallow or what?! x

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't know where to start to change a tire on a bike or on a car!!! So you're doing a lot better than me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah You Tube is my first point of call whenever there's a job to do that requires a bit of technicality. Its a godsend for a single mum with a great big streak of independence! x

      Delete
  3. Where else would one go to find help with a tube? !!

    ReplyDelete