Friday, 6 March 2015

Six Foot Under

Photo: Rypley
It is good to think about death. 'You miserable bugger LG' you might be thinking.  But that it not the case.  For I am, in the main, a joyful, perky human being and think that I'm pretty good at spreading that happiness. Mr Grumpy doesn't visit too often and when he does he gets short shrift.

Focusing on our mortality makes us aware of how precious time is.  It can spur us towards achievement, discovery and making amends when we've done wrong.  The Buddhists know that and ponder death. To illustrate, here's a link to a meditation that I found on Youtube.

A couple of years ago I found myself a snuggly shroud that I though I'd like to have to mark my departure from this earth.  Not that I'm planning on going anytime soon I hasten to add.  There's people to meet, places to see, things to get done.  But you never know.  If I do pop off I might like one of these biodegradable burial pods by Capsula Mundi instead.  They're planted in the earth with the tree of your choice for your surviving friends and family to tend.  What would mine be?  Well that's easy.  It's got to be a silver birch!

6 comments:

  1. You're right...remembering that we won't be here indefinitely helps us to make the most of every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learnt that when my life seemed to be threatened! x

      Delete
  2. As I approach the age my Dad was when he died I find myself thinking about death more and more. The shortness of life seems all the more apparent now that I am 50 and J is 53; my Dad was 55 when he died. Knowing we are so close to that age, and yet we still feel so young ( apart from all the aches and pains) is a tad scary.
    Love the pod and tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that when you're approaching 50 you come to a realisation that life is very short. My son's birth and even my 20th birthday only seem a little way back. xx
      PS I feel about 12!

      Delete
  3. funny I talked about similar things back at the beginning of February: http://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.ca/2015/02/funerals.html

    Still thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice post! It's made me think a bit further. Where do I actually want my pod/felt shroud put in the ground. There should be trees....and ideally a sea view. x

      Delete