Saturday, 28 March 2015

What's the Difference Between a Pollock and a Cod?

Can you guess what this one is?
It was bound to happen sooner or later to someone who likes to store an awful lot of useless knowledge in her bonce and then share it with all and sundry at a moment's notice.  This week I've joined a pub quiz team.   Actually I received an invite on account of 'my superior scientific knowledge'!  A slight exaggeration perhaps but with that sort of accolade coming my way I wasn't about to put anyone right!

So how did we do?  Well, I'm pleased to say that the team were dead chuffed with my contribution.  Apparently I've transformed them from no-hopers to definite contenders.  We made it to the tie-break and then I flunked a question on paper size.  A poor show from a printmaker.

I'd hoped to find you a link to the 'Name That Fish'  round that was our nemesis as we scored a pitiful 2/16.  After all don't all quizmasters use the Internet as their main resource?  Some of the problem was scale.  What we though might be a barracuda turned out to be the much smaller pike.  Our funniest incorrect guess?  What sport pairs red/yellow and blue/black?  We quite reasonably plumped for Tag Wrestling.  After all wasn't Big Daddy hanging about  in the red corner on those misspent '70s afternoons in front of the telly?  The answer was the much more civilised sport of croquet.  Maybe we need someone a posh, mallet wielding angler on our team next time round!

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have a clue. The fish I see is usually slathered in tartar sauce or hidden on a bun. Quiz teams are awfully fun if people are in it for fun and not pretenciousness.

    ReplyDelete