Friday, 24 April 2015

Bear? Bull? Who Knows!

It's been a while since I talked about my stock market investing so let's give you an update.    About a year ago I decided that I wanted to make a better return on my money than I could  achieved from a savings account.  Interest rates are so paltry these days. Share dealing was the way that I was going to make my fortune.

Let me say it hasn't entirely worked out in the short term.  I'm not going to be retiring anytime soon.  The gains I've made probably are about same as those teeny tiny interest rates for an awful lot more work.

The market sank alarmingly a few months back but that's not the problem.  It's bounced back since.  I haven't made gains as I took alarming hits on just two shareholdings that sunk to about 50% of their value.  Rather than play a waiting game I cut my losses and sold them.

I'm not giving up though.  After all I'm an optimistic soul.  It's been interesting and after all I haven't lost anything.  During my journey I've learnt a lot more about analysing the market and understanding broker speak.  My investment strategy has become more cautious.  I'm  mainly sticking to the FTSE-100, the top rated shares in the UK, from which to take my pick.   There's so much more data on these on which to base decisions.   I'll leave the more risky stuff to those who are braver souls than me. After all it's my nest egg that I'm playing with.  It seems right to be cautious.

1 comment: