Sunday, 12 April 2015

In the Realms of the Sausage Roll Factory

I have been a busy bunny already this morning.  No  lingering Sunday lie in for me.  Does that mean I have been very wicked in a past life?

We're partying this afternoon, an event that is bittersweet for it marks a transition in my life.  More about that tomorrow.   Food offerings have been requested from some of us and apparently I'm famous for my sausage rolls.
I don't know if that is a good thing. Maybe it would be better to be renowned for something way healthier made with lots of vegetables and wholemeal grains. But I'm not a Gwynneth Paltrow kind of girl. Perhaps if I were I'd get a guy more easily  Secretly I think they hanker after someone who will nag them and is hard work rather than a co-conspirator who will collude with them when they're in need of a meat and pastry based treat.  Now that's the kind of bloke I'm after.

There's nothing really fancy about the sausage rolls that I make.  I just use shop bought puff pastry and fill it with really good quality minced pork from slit sausages.   But as I've said before these homemade treats are way better than most shop bought counterparts because of the quality of the filling.  They're even more tasty if all butter puff pastry is on offer in the shops but that's as rare as rocking horse droppings around these parts except at Christmas.

Baking on this scale takes a bit of forethought in the motorhome but it's eminently do-able.  A little production line thing has been going on.  Fifty sausage rolls have been cooked in four batches in the halogen cooker.   The last lot are cooking as I write.  They've turned out beautifully golden and crispy.  But looks aren't everything.  It's the taste that counts.  Louis is insisting that they need to be tested to make sure they're okay!

8 comments:

  1. Homemade sausage rolls are one of the things I miss at Christmas - they, along with a home cooked ham were a bit of a tradition. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They passed muster with the tester! x

      Delete
  2. I love them, sometimes i spread some chutney on the pastry before adding the sausage meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for posting. I know what a sausage roll is now. I can't think of a US counter food or similiar so may need to try these as my next party contribution for something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead easy. America needs the sausage roll!

      Delete
  4. I have never made a sausage roll in my entire life - my daughter says that she was a deprived child...

    ReplyDelete