Saturday, 18 April 2015

Van Half Empty, Van Half Full

Gotta share, gotta share!  Remember last month Salty Dog and I went to see the awesome local band 'Land of the Giants'. Well they were playing again last night in  Plymouth as the main act   in the first of four live free music events held in the Piazza in the middle of the city. A big group  of people, friends, friends of friends, random strangers were up there at the front dancing our little socks off.  And what do you know. One of the guys  who I got talking to is the photographer at some of the band's gigs.  He introduced me to the unfeasibly cute lead singer who (sigh!) picked me up gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek! No I didn't dream it.  It actually happened.  Salty Dog is dead jealous and I won't be washing ever again!  Here's a link to one of my favourite tracks in celebration.

Excitement over.  Soon I'll be heading back up the A38 to the motorhome.  There's work to do.  I want to get the latest module of my Masters out of the way so that I can enjoy the summer.  And so my mult-functional teeny tiny living space will be transformed into a study.  Thank goodness that most of the books and papers that I use are online, can be stored electronically and don't take up oodles of space.

People react in diametrically opposed ways in response to the notion that I live in a motorhome. When Mr Anonymous from Guyana was introduced to Klaus the Knaus he looked at me with genuine concern.  'How do you live like this?'  Lots of others get it and seem to have a wistful look in their eyes.  I'm living their dream.   Now  I've been full-timing in my cosy home on wheels for six months, half the time with a rambunctious kid.

So I've been thinking about why it works and I haven't succombed to claustrophobia.  Of course I'm not holed up there all the time and that's part of it.  I go out a lot, seeing friends, walking or cycling and now the weather is warmer I'm sitting outside more.  When I'm home, even when it's dark I keep all the blinds open which adds to a sense of space,  Keeping it uber tidy and uncluttered obviously preserves my sanity.  As does normalising the experience.  I do pretty much what I used to in a brick built house in my motorhome - baking, crafting, writing, meditating, playing  with Lou and helping with homework.  Friends are welcome to visit.  I feed and water them and they sometimes stay over.  Maybe this sharing fills the van with good vibes.  Who knows?  What I am sure of is that I'm happier than I've ever been.  My glass is well and truly half full.


1 comment:

  1. Living a glass half full kind of life surely has to be healthy. I enjoy reading your blog because you really embrace this-it's not an act, game, or experinent. Just for today I'll try doing the same. No whining, no complaining, no jealous thoughts Then maybe tomorrow, and the days after, do it again.

    ReplyDelete