Thursday, 16 April 2015

Who Gets My X

'Tis the season that those politicians seem to be ignoring the wise advice 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.' even more than usual. They're all PR-ed up to the hilt these days too.  It's rare that someone is interviewed where we are to see the genuine person behind the carefully manipulated facade.  When we do  get a glimpse of  the human frailty that we all possess they're pounced on and criticised.

Sometimes I'd like to wash my hands of it all and ignore the political furore going on.  Yet I can't as people died so that I could vote. I view it as a duty and not  optional.

I also do so  because I've got a sense that a wealthy and increasingly powerful minority would  prefer it if us minions kept our traps shut and did not express opinions. That would never do.   And maybe my moderate vote counters extremism too.  It's sensible to remember that the Nazi Party in Germany were elected on  nowhere near a majority.   Some of the stuff that I'm hearing from some parties seem to express far too little compassion for those who are disadvantaged and oppressed.     Am I overreacting if I think this seems dangerous to me? No matter if I am.   A healthy dose of paranoia is acting as a good motivator.

So who will get my tick in the box on polling day? Just in case I've got some parties completely wrong I decided to examine whether their policies were a good match with  my own beliefs and values.  After all leopards sometimes change their spots.  I've been trying a few of those online quizzes. like whoshouldyouvotefor.com, voteforpolicies.org.uk and votematch.org.  Have they shown that my true colours are indeed blue  or, horror of horrors, purple?  Unsurprisingly no.   Nor, thankfully am I a good match with the Liberal Democrats who betrayed many   tactical voters in 2010's General Election who'd hoped to see the formation of a left of centre government.  That would have caused a bit of emotional turmoil.  I resolved after the event never to vote for them again.

I pretty much knew that I'll be putting a tick in the box of either the Labour Party or Green candidate. So have all those quizzes helped me decide between these parties? Sadly not.  My views seem to sit squarely in both camps.  I'm still in a quandary about what to do.  What I need is someone to come up with a really good tiebreaker to help me decide!

7 comments:

  1. I so agree with you on this. All the parties may say some good things mixed up with utter PR claptrap. If they could all just pull together and support those good things it would be brilliant. I am so unsure who to vote for still as I hear good bits and then bad from them all which confuses me. I will vote for sure even though where I live it is usually a done deal for Lib Dems but the local MP is pretty invisible in my estimation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a safe Tory seat, so my vote is seen as ' wasted', but it will be cast and will be placed squarely in the box of my Labour candidate. The thought of a Tory/UKIP deal makes me feel phyically sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote too. There are many in the world who are denied this right.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, those are my two choices as well. I've never not voted but I swear it gets harder as I get older. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe Tory seat here too. I used to vote green but the list of things they would like to ban, all connected with the countryside, has rather put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah glad to hear that others are not completely put off by the poling system and I won't be going to cast my vote along on 7th May.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for those links, apparently I should vote Green, no surprise there, it's been either them or Labour for the past 30 years. x

    ReplyDelete