Friday, 8 May 2015

Art is for All



Yesterday someone told me  that some people aren't creative. 'No!' I said.  I feel for who are unaware that they have this  inherent human quality.

Please follow this link and go and have a look at the self-portraits that William Utermohlen produced in the years after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1995. He adapted his style as the disease progressed.  Now if I had any training in art I'd probably be able to describe a deterioration in technical prowess with time. This does not make the later works any less complex or compelling. This pencil sketch produced in 2000 is my favourite.  I find it very moving.

2 comments:

  1. I can't draw a straight line, but am 'reasonable' in other craft areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is certainly food for thought; though I would rather not dwell upon it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete