Sunday, 17 May 2015

Be Active

I've noticed on this blog there's quite a few things that I've started and haven't finished.  Like 'The Alphabetical Tourist' for instance.  I never got past 'A'!  It might be one I'll come back to on days where I lack other inspiration   If you listened to my ever so astrological minded friend, Reiki Ray, he'd say this lack of ability to complete tasks was because I am an Aries.  Now I take this stuff with a pinch of salt but a hell of a lot of my friend born under the same star sign have the same trait.  There's a hell of a lot of projects going on at once, that are taken up and then discarded or postponed. It's a trait that is endearing or infuriating depending on who's looking at it.

With the doldrums that set in the other day still with me I thought it was a good time to revisit  'The Five Ways to Wellbeing', a really useful publications that my employer has produced to encourage people to engage in activities that maintain wellness.  I give it out a lot to people that I'm working with, those whose anxiety or depression plagues them.   But it's not just for them.  These are wise words for everyone, including myself.  I like to practice what I preach.  Oh, by the way, that's for the kindness expressed in the comments on my previous post. It is gratefully received and comforting.

Let me point out that I'm not depressed at the current time.  The word is sometimes used too freely in our language.  Whilst I'm more sorrowful than usual it is easy for me to buck out of it.  I'm enjoying interactions with others, the future seems bright  and rosy and  I'm pretty motivated.  I was chuffed to bits the other day when someone described my enthusiasm for life as infectious.  But it's important to recognise there's a slippery slope that could be fallen down here.   So I'm making an extra special attempt to keep well.  And those five headings for action are kept in mind.  'Be Active' is the one I'll mention today.     I'm walking a lot, not just evening strolls like the one on Dartmoor where I took today's photo,  but planning lunch breaks and visits at work so that they incorporate a little meander. The bike gets an airing and when it warms up, outdoor swimming will again be on the agenda.  And I dance when I can.  Not with any finesse I'll have you know but just to express the joy that I feel when I hear a catchy tune.

The advise from the New Economic's Foundation, who orignally devised 'The Five Ways of Wellbeing' is to find something you like doing that's within your physical capability.  And don't think exercise has to be expensive and needs fancy gear.  Being someone who likes to dress in a girly way, I don't even have a pair of trousers, let alone those specifically designed for walking, in my wardrobe.  A  colorful skirt over leggings with a pair of sturdy shoes/boot does the trick even for those long evening rambles or day hikes.


5 comments:

  1. My village hosted a 'Countryside Day' yesterday. Amongst the attractions was a mass walk, and a mass ride. We had over a hundred walkers, and about fifty riders pass behind our house. I'm beginning to have real hate relationship with those silly ski sticks they use. They don't use them to go shopping or walk to library; so why in the 'countryside'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some walking poles and they're really useful when wilderness hiking with a large backpack. They lend stability when you're carrying a 30 plus pound pack. I don't use them on normal day hikes though.x

      Delete
    2. I can see how the sticks would be useful if you were going hill climbing, but we have droves of fit looking ramblers who chatter and click around here. Can't see the point of them if you are walking on flat level ground, just a fad I think.

      Delete
  2. I'm going stir crazy because I can't get out for a walk everyday. I only walked 3 miles on Friday and have had to rest my foot all weekend because of it.I have lots to keep me occupied at home, but for me, nothing beats a good brisk walk no matter what the weather is like; it's good for both my mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can get back to a meaningful stroll really quickly. xx

      Delete