Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Moomin Charity Shop Treasure

Now you may think that I've forgotten about the 'Five Pound Challenge' that I set myself a couple of months back but you'd be wrong. It's just that digging around in the local charity shops hasn't yielded very much  that has the potential to be sold on at a profit. Everyone's a lot more savvy these day. That's not such a bad thing as it's best that as much money as possible is raised for those good causes.

Finally I thought I'd snapped up a saleable bargain on Tuesday. Regular readers may know that I'm rather partial to a Moomin. At first glance I thought it was a plastic drinks container.  'Lou would like that.' I thought.  However it's actually ceramic, in perfect condition and was on sale for the princely sum of two quid.  Well within the challenge budget.  Could this be the item that would provide the initial hefty hike in funds?


A little bit of research later suggested that my hunch about its added value was totally correct.   It's a storage jar by Arabia that marks the 100th anniversary of  the birth of Tove Jannson, the creator of the Moomins in  2014.  They're still available in the shops and are retail  for thirty three pounds, Some though have been sold on Ebay at around the fifty pound mark.  That would represent rather a big profit even after dealing costs are taken into account.

There's a small problem though. I've fallen in love with it.  It doesn't bode well for a future career as a trader in retro themed memorabilia. I'd end up selling nothing and instead have a houseful of treasure that I couldn't bear to part with.   In desperation I turned to my  friends. Surely they'd forced me to see sense.   Both Scary Secretary and Salty Dog were unanimous and very forthright with their advice.  'You have to keep it. It's lovely!'

5 comments:

  1. I say keep it too! What a great find, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, why not? You can always sell at a later date if it becomes necessary, can't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no. I really like it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it... it's lovely and will probably increase in value anyway. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could you even THINK of selling Moominmama, Snook and the Snork Maiden?! Never!!

    ReplyDelete