Monday, 18 May 2015

There are Wetherspoons and Wetherspoons.

I've escaped Devon with Ibiza Queen Vikki, the girl who gifted me the much coveted LGBT rainbow flag for my birthday.  Red  Mel doesn't want me to take it to Chagstock this year in case people assume that we're a couple but I'm displaying it with pride.  After all, I'm sure that my gay friends will agree that inclusiveness is for straight people as well.

Anyway after a three hour drive where I learnt that penises can be broken and I've nearly been convinced that I need to go to a foam party in the Ballearics, we've arrived in Stafford!  A little while back I did one of my back of the envelope bids for funding and hey presto we're on an occupational therapy course.  'Don't ask: don't get' is the mantra I hate the most. What a silly thing to teach kids.  We're hoping to put to use what we learn to help the most difficult people that we work with.




In between our studies we've decided to make it a bit of a holiday.  I haven't laughed so much in ages and have perked right up.  Yesterday evening we went out to see what a town that we might have never dreamt of visiting for a holiday has to offer.   We have been pleasantly surprised.  There's friendly people and great pubs.  However the little independent ones didn't do food on a Sunday evening so we ended up at the massive 'Picture House' for a burger and drinkie-poos. Yep, it was a Wetherspoon's.  Here's Vikki tucking into food that would cause Rosemary Conley to have a hissy fit.

Now people can be a bit snobby about  this chain but when the location is right, they nearly tick all my good pub boxes.   They're often in some interesting old buildings. This one was in a beautiful old cinema  The ceiling was to die for!





7 comments:

  1. We use Wetherspoons regularly. Good value and it fills the teen!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good use of an old building, the ceiling looks fab, but I couldn't eat that food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in that 'Spoons, it's a good one! Wetherspoons is great for vegetarians, so many pubs don'e have anything decent for us to eat. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE do Steak Nght most Tuesday's in our local Wetherspoons.A big group of us go and it is very relaxed.It doesn't matter if we make a bit of noise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lovely Wetherspoons in Bodmin; it's in an old chapel.The Wetherspoons here is in a hideous building, but we do have a pub in a beautiful old bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have anything like that here; sometimes I wish we did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's two great ones in Exeter too in an old chapel and the former hotel where I went to my first university ball over thirty years ago. There's a Wetherspoons in Bristol in beautiful old meeting rooms and Southend's is in the former post office.

    ReplyDelete