Saturday, 20 June 2015

Better Butter

There's yet more evidence  that Louis may not be my own but some kind of weird changeling.  I've mentioned before that he doesn't like MarmiteThat's virtually unthinkable in my book.  Now he's been telling me that he prefers margarine to butter!  What is the world coming to?

My latest stash of butter was bought in France.  It's lovely stuff from Normandy with a smattering of crunchy salt.  I  can't be doing with the unsalted kind even though most gastronomes seem to prefer it. My precious pats will last a while.  After all it's about having a little of what you fancy now and then, rather than stuffing vast quantities of saturated fat down your gob.

Now that the weather is getting warmer I'm not keeping it outside the fridge anymore.  You'll all know why.  It turns to liquid, then re-hardens and goes grainy and funny tasting.  My beurre is too precious for those kind of happenings.

Anyway I came across a genius tip the other day that needs sharing.  This, dear people, is not cheese. It's butter.  Those days of great big clumps of the stuff all over toast or crackers are over.  Just grate it straight from the fridge.  It spreads just fine then.

6 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS buy 'doux'. I can't remember the last time I had 'salted'. I believe that butter is now OFF the danger list; as is salt, cannabis resin, and all alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Good on all counts except for the cannabis resin. As for my fondness for demi - sel we'll have to agree to disagree here too!

      Delete
  2. Now that's a great tip. We've always used butter and never the dreaded margarine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salted butter every time for me, Président slightly salted in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite butter is Welsh butter. They sell it in Lidl. I likes my butter so thick that Quincy could solve the case from my dental records due to the imprint in the bite of toast I had before fleeing the scene! Always lovely to meet a new blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Guess you'd prefer the clumps then and you won't be using this tip. xx

      Delete