Monday, 22 June 2015

I Could Kiss You Spiderman!

Louis came home the other day and told me in a defeated little voice to take down all his artwork that I display in the van as it was 'no good'.  I've shown it off before because I love it so. This saddened me tremendously and of course I refused. I tried to point out just what I liked about each piece.  I don't think that he was convinced.

It seems that art being taught with academic rigour as Louis' school had something to do with what happened.  Silly me, I'm a bit airy-fairy.  What I'd like to see from the education system is people coming out with the confidence to express their creativity freely and enjoy doing so throughout their life.  As for thoughts on PE from the girl who was never picked by her classmates for netball, hockey or rounders teams, well shouldn't be about fostering a love of some kind of physical activity to keep us fit and healthy into adulthood?  It doesn't have to be competitive.  But what do I know?

Anyway I wondered what I could do for my Lou to make him a bit happier and increase his confidence.  And I came up with the idea of using  Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

In my blogging nascence I wrote about using this book personally and in therapy. But it hadn't seen the light of day in yonks. I've been a busy bunny doing other things.  So as my copy is in storage, I borrowed a later edition from the library. The initial chapters that get you started have been expanded. They have more upside down pictures to copy than they used to. Like this one.   Inverting the image is just the job to get a brain into the right mind of mind.  'Spiderman to the Rescue'!!!!!!!  I bought us each a fancy new sketchpad and some pukka drawing pencils.  After all, I thought that this was something that we could embark on together.

I have to say that Louis wasn't completely enamoured with the idea at first.  Then again he's not very keen on stuff that he isn't good at immediately.  Don't know where he gets that impatience from.  Anyway it needs working on, maybe for both of us.

Here's my own version of a superhero.  He's not so bad but don't look very closely at those hands or feet.  I got bored with sharpening soft pencils as well which is why he looks a little faded in parts.

And here's the one my Lou did!  One of the problems is that his hypermobile joints mean that it is uncomfortable for him to hold a pencil for too long.  We had two sessions of art with much moaning and groaning and prophesies of hopelessness.  Even so I persisted..

'This is going to be absolute rubbish!' he said as he put the last details of webbing on Spiderman's arm.  Then he turned the drawing over and his face changed.

'Do you know, it's alright Mum, isn't it?'  He looked pleased and you could almost see some little cogwheels going around in his head.  I asked him a couple of questions.  Now if I'd asked him to copy the drawing the right way up he said he'd probably have scored his effort as 3/10.  He gave this one a comparatively whopping 6!

What's really excellent is that the tables have turned.  He's the one that's nagging me to do more.  There's a horse, a chinaman, a Picasso and Einstein still to come.  It sounds like the start of a joke doesn't it?  Then we'll progress further and see if we can both get our drawing brains to work the right way up as well!





2 comments:

  1. When I taught my children to read, I wrote backwards, upside down, and even a mix of both, just to see how their brains would cope. All 3 had no problems at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only schools would let children do their own art instead of inflicting rules and regulations.

    ReplyDelete