Thursday, 25 June 2015

Iddy Biddy Food Storage

I was listening to an episode of the  Kitchen Cabinet between visits the other day, a programme that's rather like Gardener's Question Time for foodies.  At some time during the proceedings they talked about how walk in larders were making a come back.  I presume one of those would be had alongside a fridge as large as a coffin.  My own food storage capacity is way smaller and I thought it was about time that I showed it off.  So let's start with the fridge shall we? It also gives me a chance to talk about the magic milk.

Believe it or not, this is positively capacious compared to those in some motorhomes.  What makes it different from a normal domestic contraption is that its depth is way narrower.  You see that  Louis' Pukka Pie on the top shelf or the  egg box on the third one down?  Well that will give you an idea.   You'll notice that I have a ice box but there's no capacity to batch cook and freeze stuff ahead.  I normally choose between storing a tub of ice cream or a pack of frozen peas.  So why the two bottles of milk when I've got such restricted space?  Well a couple of weeks ago, a neighbour who visits his caravan at weekends knocked on the door with a near full two pinter which he gave me.  I'd just bought the bottle that you can see on right which had a sell by date of 11 June.  Given that I was overwhelmed with white stuff I was fully expecting this to go off.  After all it seems that they normally have some kind of built in alarm system which turns them sour at midday of the sell by date.  But this didn't.  It lasted and lasted, finally curdling on 22 June when there was just a little bit in the bottle.  Never seen anything like it.  Proof that there is something very supernatural about this spot perhaps?



And so onto cupboard space.  There are two of those above the kitchen area, one large and this small one.  Not a lot of room for stocking up on those staples that lots of cookbook writers these days insist on.  I have to be pretty selective in what I choose to have in store.   Aside from my salty caramel sauce stash from Brittany stored in those plastic kilner-type jars on the top shelf, there's not a lot of bulk buying going on.  Because of their volume big loaves of bread are a luxury as well.    Wraps and rolls are more the standard fayre here these days as they take up less space.  And the squished orange box is full of porridge.  Standard cereal cartons are just a bit too tall!

Ah!  that's a bit neater. This is the big cupboard which is used mainly for non perishable and a few herbs and spices.   Oh and a stray butternut squash.  It doesn't live up to its name as its not squishy at all.  Again it demonstrates how tight fridge space it. It wouldn't fit so I needed to find it a temporary home.

So that's about it - except for a bag of carrots under the back seat. There's always fruit in my funky bowl too. I've learnt new quarter mastering skills in my motorhome habitat that I'll take back when I live in a house.  No more will I be buying obscure non perishables which lurk in cupboards for years.  I'll improvise with what I've got. And shopping little and often for the things I need, rather than one big load weekly is something that's ingrained.  Everything's fresher and nicer and leftovers don't disappear into the back of the fridge. If they're not out of sight and mind there's lots of chance that they'll be used up.

5 comments:

  1. I listened to that episode of the KC too [I was driving down the motorway] and decided I needed to seriously rethink food storage when I got home. Then I forgot completely. Your post has reminded me - thanks! I admire people who have truly minimal storage [like yours] and occasionally visit National Trust houses with huge pantries, butteries, and room for half a pig to hang in the cool larder. But for only 2 people, such space cannot be justified!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left half a bottle of milk in the fridge when we went away to France for 8 days, and it was fine when we got back, and for several days after! I think the fact that we tend to use milk with less fat than in days gone by, and also, when bought from a supermarket, it has been permanently chilled, rather than spent hours on a milk float and doorstep ,is the reason it keeps better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy milk very rarely but when I do, I buy Tesco's 'Pure' which has been extra filtered, it stays 'fresh' for weeks, even the full fat version.

    My kitchen is very small and I have had to use a bookcase against one wall to hold books and store items such as tins of fish, beans, tomatoes etc.

    I was pleased to see a jar of Marmite in your cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Cravendale is similar and that seems to last a long time. Marmite IS an essential! x

      Delete
  4. I've just built a 3 by 2.5 metre walk-in larder. It should save the new kitchen (which is quite big) from becoming cluttered.... at least that's the idea.

    I love those Scottish Oat bikkies with cheese. Luckily my supermarket sells them over here. Nice.

    ReplyDelete