Friday, 12 June 2015

Ownership: My Good Earth

In researching today's post I came across the Apollo 8 astronauts reading from Genesis where they send a message to all of us back home on the good Earth  You can hear it here.  God bless Wikipedia! Of course I've heard it before but each time I listen to it I find it incredibly moving.

That occupational therapy conference last week where I learnt about the incredible therapeutic potential of surfing gave me further food for thought from Mick Collins, a lecturer from the University of East Anglia who combines an occupational perspective with an ecological one.  He has a book, 
The Unselfish Spirit: Human Evolution in a Time of Global Crisiswhich I'd like to get around to reading once I've finished the essay writing nonsense that will dominate my entire life for the next month.  One of the things that he said was that a Maori friend of his claims ownership of where he lives and refers to 'my land'.  Doing this for where I live, my campsite, my village, my county seems to take my responsibility for its stewardship to a different level. So, good morning and good luck and God  bless all of you, all of you  on OUR good Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment