Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Aaaargh!

Remember when phones were like this?  Well I can't really but in my childhood they really weren't hugely different.  Maybe a bit more plasticky? They sat in the  chilly hallway of our houses and didn't feature large in everyone's life like they do today.  In fact I barely noticed the thing until my later teenage years.  Our recently departed ancestors would have been amazed that we lugged handsets around.  I don't think that they would have understood the concept.

All of a sudden my mobile died on Monday.   I think it may be repairable but at the time when I'm moving and planning jaunts to lands far away I really need a working phone to sort out those inevitable hiccups NOW!   'No there's nothing wrong here' said the lady at the bank when I telephoned to say that card payments had been refused whilst buying rather essential fridge and beds. 'Please update your records to show that there will be some abnormal spending going on' I asked.  'Yes I'll do that'.  Even so Tuesday morning saw me in lengthy negotiations because the fraud department had thought that some baddie somewhere was using my card.  It was conducted on Louis' teeny tiny Sony Xperia which has a faulty speaker and challenged more of the senses than I could cope with.  What's more I tether my laptop to the phone in the van.  Without it I'm cut off from the virtual world at a time when it seems crucial to stay connected.

So a new phone arrived less than 48 hours after I'd ordered it but now it's taking hours to set up with all the apps that were on my old one.  Google Play has not been behaving.  Time that I don't really have but I'm so  lost without 'Brain 2', the handheld annexe to my own bonce.  I can't think straight even to function without it  and its not all the fault of the stinking cold that's set in over the last couple of days.    When did I become so reliant on technology?  Is it such a bad thing that I am?

4 comments:

  1. It's just another tool. Take that in whatever way you wish!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I remember having a 'party line' in my childhood. We shared the only phone line at our end of the street with our neighbours across the road. We only had a phone because my Dad was a 'district engineer for a national engineering insurance company and it was a 'perk' of the job. Everyone else I knew used a pay phone!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barely anyone you see walking down the street is just walking. I see at least 8/10 on their phones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was small, and used the phone, the lady at the village's tiny telephone exchange would recognise my voice and call me by my given name. She'd then ask who I wanted to speak to, I'd tell her, and she'd put me through. No numbers were necessary, as long as the call was within the village. It was all very charming, although I didn't realise that at the time.

    ReplyDelete