Sunday, 12 July 2015

Baas in Brizzle

Lou and I were up with the larks yesterday and got us onto a train just after seven in the morning.  Our mission?  To spot all seventy of those statues of Shaun the Sheep that have popped up around Bristol.    Just over eleven hours later, forty had been bagged.  Now the stepcounter on my phone says that we walked twenty miles.  I'm not sure that's right even though my feet say that it might be.

I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that this trail isn't as good as the London challenge that we finished earlier in the year.  Now Bristol is a city that I know and love.  It's a place I'll be visiting more soon and get to know even better as Red Mel is just finalising the purchase of a flat on the riverside. Yay! However, as much as I love discovering pretty places that I haven't seen before, Brandon Hill Nature Park, for instance was stunning,  I don't like wandering around industrial estates or airless shopping centres.  It was hot and I got stroppy on more than one occasion.  Baa!  There goes my image as the twenty first century's version of Pollyanna.

Lou is still desperate to see the remaining thirty Shauns which are scattered far afield, even in the Cribbs Causeway mall. Yuk! I've taken a couple of days of annual leave next week so it's possible but is will it be an enjoyable use of time????  I'm wondering if its feasible if I stick the bikes on the back of the car and make creative use of public transport as well.  A bit of planning is required methinks.

In spite of my miserable git grumbles we had a great day.   Bristolians are great.  When we ever looked puzzled or lost people spontaneously helped us out. Red Mel met us for the first couple of hours and we had a lovely breakfast together.  And Lou said that it was his second best day ever.  The first?  Apparently on our first ever trip to the campsite on the Pink Granite Coast he had the most epic pine cone fight with his friends.  Proof that it doesn't cost much to keep a child happy.  It's a shame that some parents don't seem to know that.

4 comments:

  1. Just checking in before I leave. Those are very pretty sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to see some you might be better off doing one of the trails around Ashton Court or even better on the Downs to the North of the city. It would save you coming right in the city. Look forward to seeing you! x

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great day out. I've never been to Bristol. It's very far away from op North!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I used to think that the north was a long way away until I did a trip to Cumbria and got there before midday. Started quite early though....x

      Delete