Monday, 6 July 2015

Head Out Of Sand

My thoughts were turning a lot to the knotty subject of  spending for the rest of the year. The next few months seem very expensive indeed but up to now I've been doing the avoidance thing around quantifying just how much everything is going to cost.  Won't it all go away if I ignored it.  Oh no, It won't!

By the way, I tried to find a suitably themed picture of a scary, tetchy ostrich burying its head in the sand. It's the best place for that big beak methinks. God was having a bit of a giggle at our expense on the day that he created that creature.  I bet he was laughing his socks off at the thought of them chasing us around.  Does God wear socks? Anyway I couldn't find a free image, of the ostrich that is, and not the covered tootsies of the Almighty Father, but instead will share this rather pleasing second century Roman mosaic.

Back to the matter in hand! After setting myself that budget the other day,  I though it might be a jolly good idea to work out just how much money would be coming in and, gulp! going out in 2015. So I've made myself a lovely spreadsheet for I like to play with numbers very much. It's work in progress and  reflects anticipated income and spending.  However there's columns for the actual figures as they're known.

The situation is as I thought. What with a very special holiday coming up and essential maintenance to the house it looks like more will go out than come in.  The exercise has shown me that I could rectify the situation by  time to pulling the belt in a little more tightly or alternatively look at increasing income.  I'm not too worried really.  The overspend isn't colossal in the scheme of things. After all aren't savings for those special, one-off or emergency things and not for insulation when you're in your box six feet under?

What I must say is that now I've done the exercise I'm feeling so much better! I'm far more prepared for what's around the corner.  There's a general lesson here about facing up to what is bothersome. Often things aren't as bad as they seem.  Even if they are, it's so much better to go forward into a situation with as much awareness as can be mustered.

5 comments:

  1. I think you should have a word with the Greek Prime Minister; you might be able to explain things to him (and to all the twits who voted NO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure out why they think they can now hold a gun to he EU head ? the way they are celebrating, they seem to think they can now call the tune ! I have got this right haven't I ? they owe billions, not paid it back, but now think they have the right to demand more ? hmmm .... interesting.

      Delete
    2. Yeah - I could sort Greece out. Simples! They'd just have to give me lots of mezze in return. Mmm! x

      Delete
  2. It's scary when you see things written down isn't it ? but not so scary as ignoring the facts and having nasty shocks !
    you'll be fine ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not frightened at all now it's in black and white. It's really not as bad as I imagined. And I've been very generous with estimates of spending. Who knows? That deficit might actually be a diddy surplus. x

      Delete