Saturday, 25 July 2015

I Wish The Boy Was Here


And he will be!  Later this morning Louis will arrive with a stack of outdoor kit.  For this afternoon he is off to 'Run to the Fun', Devon's Scout Jamboree. I'm taking him down to Cornwall with a bar of soap that will arrive home in the pristine condition that it went in. The tide mark round the bath when he gets back takes days to remove. So it should be.  Lou loves Scouts and I'm a big fan too.   There's so much scope for mucking about in the outdoors doing stuff that makes a good childhood.

This isn't what I really want to write about today. The post about the Hemingway writing app identified a gap in my reading.  In my fifty years, I'd never read any of  Beardy Ernie's work. Toffeeapple and Cro Magnon mentioned The Old Man and the Sea.  'Let's give it a go then!'  I thought and ordered it from the library.  It came with a marvellous retro cover which gave me ideas about printing on brown paper.  Today's title is a recurrent quote from the book.

It's the story of an elderly Cuban fisherman and his battle with a bloody great marlin that he's hooked.  He could have done with Manolin, the boy,  being there.  But because of the old man's terrible run of bad luck the apprentice's parents force him to fish from a different boat.  The book is short, macho and at some point a dolphin gets eaten.  Yikes!  Isn't that akin to cannibalism given the status held by this mammal in Western society?  Needless to say the story is beautifully written in Hemingway's sparse style.  Perhaps he used the app!  Will I read more Hemingway? Maybe.   I might temper it with a bit of chick lit first.  And does it tempt me to take up fishing when I get to my new seaside home.  Well, yes, for I have a hankering for hunter-gathering of many kinds. I might stick to stocking the freezer with my catch from the mackerel boats rather than picking fights with the big guys of the sea!

7 comments:

  1. Exactly as your blog appeared on my computer, someone on the radio said " Hemingway". How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At school I had a friend who was a 'Queen's Scout' (not quite sure what the difference is). He used to go on foreign jamborees representing the UK. His name was Rupert Prince, which was always written as PRINCE Rupert. Needless to say, he was treated like royalty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a Queen's Guide. It meant that I earned a lot of badges and my mum was really proud. No foreign jamborees - just chariot racing at Gilwell Park, a big scout hangout in Essex!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Hemingway either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be rushing to rectify that!

      Delete