Thursday, 6 August 2015

Come On: Be a Dementia Friend!

I'd like to think that my blogging makes a tiny difference in this big complicated world of ours.  So if I get just one of my UK readers to sign up to become a Dementia Friend I'll be a happy bunny. Go on, you know you want to follow that link!

It's an initiative by the Alzheimer's Society to raise the nation's perception about dementia, a term for a number of degenerative brain conditions, not just Alzheimer's. By equipping people with knowledge it aims to help them turn that understanding into actions that make life for people with the disease easier.   You opt in by watching an online video.  There's free teaching sessions that are being run around the country that come highly recommended.  The best way of learning  though is spending time with people with dementia and trying to understand the way that they see the world and what makes them tick.

I've signed up after watching the online video where a lovely positive lady tells her  own story. Even though I work in the field I never get tired of hearing each individual's unique perspective.  It's an honour and privilege to do so.   As a dementia friend myself I'll now get an information pack and a badge.  I'll wear that with pride.  You never know.  For a person with dementia that I encounter one day it may mark me out as a person who might be able to help.

7 comments:

  1. Dan attended a Dementia Friends session at work earlier this week, he said it was excellent and took a lot from it. His grandmother has dementia so it was particularly useful. The next time a session is offered through the charity shop I'll take the opportunity. to go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that the training was good. The Alzheimer's Society stuff is usually excellent. I'm thinking of telling the school and the Scout Group about it. It looks like they do sessions for youngsters too. x

      Delete
  2. laura blackpool6 August 2015 at 21:58

    I'm a new reader to your blog but am already a dementia friend.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome - Excellent that you've done the training! x

      Delete
    2. laura blackpool7 August 2015 at 15:05

      Thank you for t

      Delete
  3. Our Year 6 at work are dementia friends after they came to school to do an awareness day. Great stuff x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister recommended the Dementia Friend training to me but I haven't done anything about following it up - so thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete