Thursday, 27 August 2015

Driving Angst

Mostly over the last couple of weeks my mind has been in chilled holiday mode.  Of course this is v. good.  It needs a break from all that thinking it has to do at home.  And I really do notice a slowing down of thought processes.  My reasoning is less acute, it's harder to formulate arguments and things like performing simple arithmetic are way more tricky.  This really seems to happen. Trust me!

However there been a niggling fretfulness over the last couple of days that's disturbed this state of semi-shutdown. When this post pops up we'll be in a Yellowstone  campsite in our hire van that will be our home for the next six days.  This will be nothing quite as fancy as Klaus the Knaus' set up. We will be using the vehicle as a tent with its back seats removed.  It's because I don't fancy sleeping under campus in Grizzly territory even though I want to get a good look at those beasties from a safe distance.

Why I'm nervous is because I've never driven anything without a manual clutch before.  That's a stick shift to you Northern Americans. 'Oh but it's way easier' y'all will say.  You see I'm picking up some Americanisms grammatically too.  What if my left foot gets tetchy doing nothing?  What if I throw it into reverse by accident or press that accelerator too heavily and go flying of into a hard wall?  I'm sure it will be fine, much less tricky than when I drove a six metre left hand drive motorhome on British roads for the first time.  But being rational hasn't stopped that anxiety.  As that book title says, there's nothing for it but to feel the fear and do it anyway.  I'm sure it will be fine.


3 comments:

  1. I am sure you will have no problems as long as you stick to the proper side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put it in 'drive' and go. I'm not fussed either way, nor with LHD or RHD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be fine! So happy that your trip is going wonderfully well. JanF

    ReplyDelete