Saturday, 8 August 2015

'Free' Parking!

It's getting closer to the time that we fly across the pond to spot bears, wolves and whales. 'I'm very excited, Mum.' Lou told me on the phone last night. 'How excited on a scale of one to ten?' I asked.  'Twelve!'

 Do you know I've hardly seen my son in the last month.  He's been gallivanting around and has been away for three out of the last four weeks.  Some of the time I didn't even get my usual nightly catch up call. All electronic devices were banned at Scout camp and his sim  card failed on the way to the bus for the French school trip.  When that empty nester time comes a few years from now I don't think I'll even notice he's gone!

I've left thinking about three weeks of airport parking to the last moment.  As a single mum on a budget it was something that I was trying to brush under the carpet.  We're flying at 9am so that ruled out train travel on the day.  That would have meant an expensive hotel stay on top of rail fares.  Even with our Family and Friends railcard I knew that wasn't a  viable option.

Surely a thrifty option would be to drive through the night and then park up?  A drive fuelled by excess caffeine with eyes propped open with matchsticks wasn't something that I was relishing but needs must.   Thankfully this is not what I'm  doing.  It's actually worked out cheaper to book a room for the night before.  We're staying in the  Cambridge Hotel.   With airport transfers the price has come in at about three quid under the best price for parking.  The frugal among you could have gone even cheaper but the chance to stay in the home of a former Duke of Cambridge was too tempting.   A restorative kip before a nine hour jaunt in the sky seems a sensible way to start a very special holiday.

8 comments:

  1. I think you've done the right thing there. I've heard other people say that there are some good deals to be had from hotels offering to keep the car for the length of the holiday. Best to get a good nights sleep before travelling. I hope you have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think so too. I didn't think exhaustion on top of jet lag was a good way to start a holiday! x

      Delete
  2. Once when I few to Miami (and on to Cayman) I left my small Triumph sports car in the car park of the hotel that I'd stayed in overnight; they charged a small fee. When I got back the car had been burgled, and damaged. They said that I'd left the car there 'at my own risk'. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stayed overnight in the Europa at Gatwick - never again, it was awful; the sheets were threadbare and I awoke with three bites on my nose. Your choice looks so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nd do you know. The Europa came highly recommended from a friend but they didn't get back to me about parking charges. I think I've done good too now I've read your comment! x

      Delete
  4. Stay safe. I read this morning that someone has been killed by bears in Yellowstone and part of it has been closed off to visitors - is that where you are going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are. I'm going to be very careful as is necessary in a place where an animal regards you as lower down the food chain than them. We'll be with our friend who is a really experienced wilderness backpacker at all times and will be sleeping in our van. x

      Delete
  5. We have stayed at the Gatwick Manor several times, just south of the airport, and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete