Sunday, 30 August 2015

Lending to the Library

If you were to visit my house you wouldn't take me for a bookworm.  I have no floor to ceiling shelves filled with everything that I've ever read. A nosey parker might eventually find the cupboard where my recipe and craft books are kept. There's a few inspirational volumes by my bed and whatever I'm currently reading  sits there too.  That's all.  I'm not really a re-reader so once a book is finished it leaves the house, given to friends or donated to charity.

In a further canny space saving deal, all my textbooks are kept at work.  Let the NHS bear the cost of their storage. On the flip side they've become a resource that my colleagues and passing students can share.  There was uproar recently when the swanky but cash strapped Birmingham library asked for book donations.  But I think that it's a great idea that could be rolled out nationwide.  In a country where the survival of our libraries is threatened this could be one of the money saving schemes that put a halt to closures.   And once a person has donated a book it doesn't mean that they wouldn't be able to read it again.  All they'd have to do was pop along with their ticket and borrow it!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I do keep my favourite books, though many, many get passed on as you say. If you're not planning to re-read, pass it on or donate it, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was a barmy idea about the library asking for book donations, but now I think about it, it makes sense. They can be cataloged and put on the right shelves just like any other books they buy in. We have a small library in our village hall, people drop books off and take them away, like a swap shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea. I have an eReader but much prefer an actual book. I do re-read books sometimes so do keep some favourites. I love our local library and use it regularly.....I think it's a great resource and will carry on doing my bit to keep it open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep books if I know that I will re-read them (and I do have a lot of books) but if I know it won't be read again it goes to charity.

    ReplyDelete