Sunday, 16 August 2015

Sleepy in Vancouver

We are in Canada!  Our studio apartment is twenty three storeys up a skyscraper. Wow!  I'd like to say that we've been out exploring, seeing what Vancouver has to offer but no.  After arriving we had a swim in the huge pool on the second floor.  Louis was still going like the Duracell bunny's best mate at that time. He was so excited.  At 2:30pm (10.30pm British time) I persuaded him that a two hour nap might be a good idea.  He chatted incessantly for half an hour and then finally konked.   When the alarm went he refused to budge, turned over and returned to the Land of Nod.  To be honest I'm a bit relieved.  I'd prefer that I did my sightseeing fully refreshed rather than in a jetlagged haze.


So you'll have to content yourselves with the views from our windows.  It's a stunning small space with an incredible vista. I'll show it off in another post.  Airbnb has done us proud!  And that budget airline Transat, who seem to employ a large proportion of portly bald men in tank tops turned out to be excellent and well deserving of its award winning status. Okay no endless free alcohol as on other carriers, just a modest glass of wine with the main meal service but arriving at a long haul destination without feeling completely razzed and dehydrated isn't a bad thing.

A chance to sit for nine hours of relaxation is rare and reminded me just how much I like a good movie.  Film watching must be reinstated once the maelstrom of moving has died down.  I watched three that were all good:  'Still Alice' - a dementia film for that busman's holiday experience, 'Big Eyes' about the painter of those kitsch '60s kiddie prints and my favourite, 'Vicky Christina, Barcelona'.  The last made me laugh out loud.  Good job everyone else was wearing earphones as well.

Right it's now 9:30pm local time so back to bed. I've still got a lot of sleepiness to shed. Let's see if we can both kip until morning so the sightseeing whirlwind can commence!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you have arrived, enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you have arrived safely. Looking forward to hearing and seeing your adventures. I haven't been to Vancouver…only Toronto and around that area. We have an elderly relative on Vancouver Island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have the indecisiveness of forcing myself to push through the jet lag or accepting the sleep. Though part of a good vacation is a guilt free nap. Now you should be set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad all is well. I remember my kid being so wakeful and talking incessantly when we travelled, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fun trip! Yup, it takes a bit to adjust to the time changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you're in the town I grew up and is home, despite not being born there.

    Vancouver isn't policed by Mounties. Take the Seabus over to North Vancouver, which is. Red Serge only for holidays and dignitaries. Most are pretty nice guys and if you ask nicely will let pose for a picture with Louis next to the squad car. A really good friend of mine works out of that detachment.

    Enjoy your time but be prepared for rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Canada. You will enjoy every bit of you holiday.

    ReplyDelete