Thursday, 13 August 2015

The Big Road

One of the misgivings I had about moving to Brixham was that it is even further away from the places that most of my friends and family members live.    I have to say that the first couple of days after I moved down here from a traffic point of view were a nightmare.  The words 'Whatever have I done!' passed through my mind a couple of times because I'd swapped my easy journey from Totnes up towards the A38 for the bottlenecked traffic schemes of Torbay.  'It's only in August' said Red Mel philosophically when I shared my thoughts.

The situation is made worse at the moment because Torbay has become a bit of a project for road scheme builders.  There's an extensive widening scheme around the ring road and then the BIG ONE.  The South Devon Link Road brings will bring an end to all that troublesome stop-startiness though Kingskerwell, the main route into the Bay.  Whilst it has being built it's created even more of a nightmare but locals have put up with it. Louis' school bus takes an age but the boys have enjoyed watching the progress of this huge engineering project. Transport links will be so much better once its all done.

There's good news on the scheduling front.  The contractors have said that they're going to finish a bit earlier than the projected date of December 2015.  The new dual carriageway should be open in the autumn.

Even after all the new infra-structure has been put in place it's still going to take me a little while longer to get up country.  But then it's totally worth it.  The harbourside just down the steps from my house is a dream.  And this is my local beach.  Just a pleasant ten minute stroll away through the woods, What's an extra fifteen minutes journey when you arrive at this?  Once my spare room is up and running I don't think that I'm going to have any problem tempting people to travel those few extra miles to see me!

5 comments:

  1. That cove looks perfect for your lobster/crab pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a story about that...I'll tell it soon!

      Delete
  2. That looks like my sort of beach. I cannot understand why people would want to go to a beach that is just a long stretch of sand and sit within a few inches of another few thousand people. I refer to pictures in the media of certain beaches when the weather is hot! They must have to keep their elbows in, like school dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the 'top tip' about the traffic disruption....We are coming down to Stoke Gabriel for a few days at the end of November. It's our first visit to the area so I will make sure that I check the progress of the road works. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be alright if you go to Stoke Gabriel via the Totnes road....if they don't put in roadworks on that road that is! x

      Delete