1. Fry a medium sized chopped onion and a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a bit of rapeseed oil until softened.
2. Add four strips of belly pork cut into cubes and brown the meat. Does that sound dirty to anyone else or is it just that I have a muckier mind than most?
3. Add a bit of salt and pepper and a fair thwack of smoked paprika. I use this stuff by the ton. Just a hint of any other spicing risks Louis turning his nose up at a perfectly tasty meal. However I can get away with this warming seasoning. It adds a bit of colour to the proceedings too in addition to being dead tasty. This was just as well (see 4 below!).
4. Pop to the cupboard for tins of butter beans and chopped tomatoes. Sh*t no tommies! How did that happen? Now that's taking having a pared down stash of essential ingredients a step too far. What could I use instead to bump up my five a day?
5. Ah I know! Strip a corn cob of its kernels with a knife. Add these to the pan with the beans and the water from the can, a really good dollop of tomato ketchup and a glug of soy sauce.
6. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened to a sticky gloop.
7. I was going to add some chopped parsley but I forgot.
8. For a really authentic cowboy experience serve with hash browns.