Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Yee Ha! Belly Pork and Beans

Let's have a recipe shall we?  I haven't done one for a long time. It's not that I haven't been cooking but I was dishing up old staples in the motorhome.  However it seems that all that extra kitchen space has triggered a surge of culinary creativity and encouraged experimentation.  Here's the instructions for last night's supper thrown together with what I had in the fridge and food cupboards.  If I say so myself it was bloody delicious!  I wasn't the only one to think that.  Louis wolfed down a huge portion.

1. Fry a medium sized chopped onion and a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a bit of rapeseed oil until softened.
2. Add four strips of belly pork cut into cubes and brown the meat.  Does that sound dirty to anyone else or is it just that I have a muckier mind than most?
3. Add a bit of salt and pepper and a fair thwack of smoked paprika.  I use this stuff by the ton.  Just a hint of any other spicing risks Louis turning his nose up at a perfectly tasty meal. However I can get away with this warming seasoning.  It adds a bit of colour to the proceedings too in addition to being dead tasty.  This was just as well (see 4 below!).
4. Pop to the cupboard for tins of butter beans and chopped tomatoes. Sh*t no tommies! How did that happen?  Now that's taking having a pared down stash of essential ingredients a step too far.  What could I use instead to bump up my five a day?
5.   Ah I know! Strip a corn cob of its  kernels with a knife.  Add these to the pan with the beans and the water from the can, a really good dollop of tomato ketchup and a glug of soy sauce.
6.  Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened to a sticky gloop.
7.  I was going to add some chopped parsley but I forgot.
8.  For a really authentic cowboy experience serve with hash browns. 

6 comments:

  1. Lady Magnon has been away shopping in London, so I've been able to indulge myself. Last week I roasted a big slab of belly pork (about 2 hrs), and it was gorgeous. The crackling was wonderful too. But after the second day of breakfast , lunch, and supper, it all became too much and Bok had to finish it for me. I adore belly pork in all its forms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a favourite of ours too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds gorgeous, we love belly pork too, the fat makes it so delicious. We have 2 slabs of it in the freezer.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm aghast! How can you have fresh parsley to chop but, g asp. No. Tinned. Tomatoes???!!!! Outrageous!!! Ps, neither have I!! Must go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try this…my boys loved it. Fry pork mince with chopped onion for 5 mins. Add 1or 2 tbsp of black treacle. 2 tbsp tomato puree. 3 tbsp of wine vinegar and a tin of good quality baked beans. Put in casserole in oven for nearly an hour…doesn't really matter exact time! Serve with jacket potato. (This recipe was originally with pork belly which made me think of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds deleesh- I might add a little bit of brown sugar.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete