Thursday, 1 October 2015

A Lender and A Borrower


It seems a long time since I last wrote a post about Lend With Care so I best put that right.  It's one of my favourite ways of helping out.  Many of us in the developed world take credit for granted.  Banks lend to us at the drop of a hat so that we can buy our houses or make other important purchases.  I'm helping to provide loans to people in the Third World  where money isn't so readily available on tick.  There have been fifteen entrepreneurs so far who I've helped to fund projects that make life better for them and, apparently 254 of their family members.  Wow!  That's quite a big impact.

What strikes me is that people often ask for such pitifully small amounts.  My latest loan was to Shazia, a mother of four,  who was asking for just £178.38 to expand her husband's business in Pakistan.  He has no identity card so couldn't apply on his own behalf.  There's got to be some hidden struggles behind that story.  I topped up my account to become one of her lenders.

And that's what I do every few months. Fifteen or twenty pounds goes in the pot.  Not much in the scheme of things for someone that counts themselves very privileged but small sums seemingly  make a hell of a difference elsewhere.  What I'd like to do is lend to a scheme that helps my fellow countrymen as well.  A quick Internet search didn't come up with anything.  If anyone knows of something similar for UK residents let me know!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a good scheme. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lend via Lend With Care, and like you would also support a similar UK scheme but so far I've been unsuccessful in finding one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea, I shall have to make enquiries here in Ireland, thank you for the heads up!

    ps Your great hair style is similar to my partners :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find something similar in Ireland and thanks for the hair compliment!

      Delete
  4. I joined as a result of your first posting, it is such a worthwhile thing to do and it gives me a thrill when I get notification that the loan has been successfully repaid. As you say, they are such small amounts to us but mean more of a future to the entrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete