Sunday, 25 October 2015

Louis




Since I was in my twenties I was pretty certain of the name that I'd give to my first child.  If he were a boy there was never any doubt that  he was going to be  called Louis.  I like how the sound feels on the tongue and its French origins given my Francophile leanings.   I settled on Phoebe for the girl that never was. My first choice was another French name, Agnès, pronounced 'Anyes' but I knew that my daughter would always be saddled with correcting  its pronunciation from the harsher anglicised version ,

 Louis means 'Famous Warrior' and whilst my son is not an especially fightie person in the physical sense, he is as tenacious as it comes in a verbal battle.  Believe me I've had a few of those!  Many people think Louis Theroux was the inspiration behind my choice.  After all I'm a bit of a fan.  But the decsion pre-dates 'Weird Weekends' where I first came across him.   I reckon this guy, whose utterly joyous music  was part of the soundtrack to my student days, may have been the one who inspired me!

2 comments:

  1. The French pronunciation of Agnes certainly makes the name much sexier and pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite song - What a Wonderful World.
    xx

    ReplyDelete