Friday, 23 October 2015

Pinko Pottery

Once when I was a tax accountant, a colleague who was around about the same age, told me that I would vote Conservative 'when I grew up'. Ha! That's why I remain young at heart. It's never happened yet.

 Maybe those left-ish leanings can be traced back to a 70's episode of 'Blue Peter'  where I learned about the Tolpuddle Martyrs, a group of agricultural labourers from Dorset who were transported to Australia for protesting when their wages were lowered from ten shillings a week to six  I must add a visit to the museum at Tolpuddle that commemorates them to learn more. It's really not that far away

I first came across this plate in a Totnes charity shop.  It was being sold for a fiver.  Then in the weeks afterwards I kept kicking myself for not buying it.  It was commissioned by the Trade Unions Congress to mark the 150th anniversary of the Martyr's transportation.  I particularly liked the colour scheme as well as the sentiment.  Thanks to good old Ebay I'm pleased to say that I now have one of my own.

7 comments:

  1. Hurrah for the Tolpuddle Martyrs! I went to their village and stood under the tree that they had their meetings under. I have a mug (celebrating their achievements) but I would love one of their plates! From a fellow life-long pinko (even if the Labour party are a constant disappointment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for instance, I'm very disappointed by Jeremy Corbyn's choice of a vegan shadow Environment secretary. Now I get why he did it but this is so inflammatory to many in rural communities. Surely the Labour Party should be trying to win a few friends at this low ebb in their history, not making decisions that cause widespread annoyance.

      Delete
    2. I agree; they constantly seem to shoot themselves in the foot. Meanwhile, some of us are suffering! Still, crazy appointments don't seem to have done the Tories any harm. They've got a health secretary who co-authored a book calling for the dismantling of the NHS, an equalities minister who voted against same sex marriage, a disabilities minister who voted against protecting benefits for disabled children and a secretary of State for Justice who voted to bring back hanging.

      Delete
    3. Am I imagining it or did they really have a minister for women once, who was a man?! xx

      Delete
  2. It was Churchill who said something like "If you don't vote Labour when you're 20, you have no heart. If you don't vote Conservative when you're 30, you have no brain". We each have to decide whether he was right or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon that we might differ here Cro!

      Delete