Monday, 5 October 2015

Pricey Bag Monday

It's the day today that big UK retailers have to start charging 5p a pop for carrier bags by law.   It's a step in the right direction but maybe not far enough. Have you heard about those great big patches of rubbish that accumulate in the world's oceans? Modbury, one of the towns in my work patch banned the things altogether in 2007 and a  jolly good thing too.

My regular  readers will know that I'm a big fan of the stringy, those capacious bags that serve me well for a grocery shop.   Those things hold so much that they turn heads and are a subject of conversation at the checkout There's all sorts of totes around the house and car as well that are useful for smaller shops.  This is the latest and I'm rather fond of it.  

I've become a supporter of the Guardian to support the editorial freedom of my newspaper of choice.  To thank me they sent me this rather useful free gift that helps me advertise my pinko leftie credentials wherever I go!




8 comments:

  1. Everyone here uses pukka shopping baskets, either woven raffia (like mine) or proper willow. People wouldn't be seen dead with a plastic bag advertising some supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My stringers do not get a, second look in Super U !

      Delete
  2. I have made a bag from a favourite, broken umbrella. It has Tigger on it,, and it quite strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. England is only just catching up with Ireland. We have had a plastic bag charge since 2002 and it's working well. Our shopping is carried in small cotton bags and the large recycled bags bought from the stores.
    My personal battle is to refuse paper bags on account of the trees, which originates from my life in Glastonbury during the 70's - 80's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the need for this and when doing small shopping it makes sense. Unfortunately we do most of our shopping once a month and I don't own enough bags to carry the stuff home in, so I would have to pay for carrier bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever thought about re-using your plastic bags ?

      Delete
    2. We do, but we reuse them for a whole lot of things.

      Delete
  5. I have a lovely Waitrose jute bag and an Indian shoulder bag for anything not in the big bag.

    ReplyDelete