Saturday, 17 October 2015

The Coolest Man Ever?




When I look back on my early years pop star crushes some of them seem pretty strange. Donny, Gary Numan, Graham Bonnet, the lead singer of Rainbow,   Morten Harket from A-ha with his dodgy mullet.  Whatever was I thinking!  Then I get to this bloke and, even now, congratulate myself on my good taste.   Even in this incredibly odd '80s suit he is the epitome of style. Such a great voice with timeless looks to die for.  Swoon!!!!

This still has to be my favourite Robert Palmer song, first heard on Radio Luxembourg in 1980.  It was their record of the week that was played hourly.  I had to content myself with staying up into the wee small hours putting up with the very crackly reception on my cheapo radio set to listen to it until I could buy my own copy.  No Spotify in those days.  Then I had to wait for a Saturday trip to the  Golden Disc record store, a Southend legend. Incidentally I've just found out that one of my other virtual 'loves of my life' Morrissey filmed one of his videos there.

Its theme of meaningless within a relationship are now apparent to me.  Back in simpler schoolgirl times I just found it rather haunting.

5 comments:

  1. You're right; that suit is awful..... surely NOT mad-Morrissey, he's nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. Morrissey is another that I 'chucked ' years ago!

      Delete
  2. For me, it was David Bowie and Brian Ferry...still is in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cut the mustard as well and are really cool. I was never 'in love' with either of them though. x

      Delete
  3. It was Matin Kemp for me, and Stuart Adamson from Big Country. Le sigh....

    ReplyDelete