Friday, 9 October 2015

Wakey Wakey with Brian Blessed





I love the eccentricity of Brian Blessed.  If this alarm clock were still available through my phone's Play Store it would replace the twee little tune that plays at 6am.  Those episodes of 'Have I Got News For You' where he's the presenter make me cry with laughter.   The story, on Radio 4's Midweek, of how, in the sixties, he'd helped to deliver a baby in Richmond Park was astounding. A lack of surgical implements and wet wipes was not a barrier to his impromptu midwifery. He bit through the umbilical cord and licked the baby's face clean. What an entrance into the world!

He'd be pleased that in 2011 York University students voted for a building to be renamed 'The Brian Blessed Centre for Quiet Study'.  as  he admitted to loving solitude and quiet.  That may be more surprising to some than the birthing  incident but as a noisy person myself I totally get it.  Those moments of peace may be more important to us.  We can't keep all that exuberance going all day.

7 comments:

  1. I've only seen him once. I think it was a Shaw play called 'Captain Brassbound's Conversion'. He was brilliant and totally dominated the whole stage. He'd make a great Panto Dame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him in Cats many moons ago. He was the only actor who remained on the stage during the interval and chatted to the audience.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like him but I really didn't want to know about the baby episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be in the minority I'm sure, but I think he is a loud mouth show off.. yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "licked the baby's face clean" thing literally made me gag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't look at his face without laughing.......same with Tommy Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is certainly one of a kind, bless him.

    ReplyDelete