Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Bitter Sweet




I came across this video that documents a body of work by American photographer, Blake Little. It's rare that artwork stirs up such a mixed bag of emotions.  Whilst I find the imagery stunning and  the use of subjects of wide-ranging body shapes and ages extraordinarily touching this is countered by revulsion. I am a person who likes to feel squeaky clean.  The lengths I will go to whilst wilderness hiking to maintain personal hygiene with wet wipes are legendary!  So the idea of being that sticky grosses me out.

And then there is my dis-ease about the fact that 4,500lbs of honey went into the making of this body of work.  I can't help thinking about whether the effort of all those poor bees was worthwhile.  Of course there is also  the issue of this unorthodox use of food in a world where so many are starving. I'll say no more.  Some of the comments which accompany the YouTube posting are priceless!

3 comments:

  1. Had not seen this before and wondered what it was...wish I hadn't looked now.

    Is this art? No, not in the slightest. And a gross waste of honey that could be used for more ethical concerns.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. One series of shots of one person would probably have been enough; flogging a dead horse comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pointless endeavour, totally wasteful and made me feel dirty.

    ReplyDelete