Sunday, 29 November 2015

Less Of A Tosser

Those recent Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programmes about waste got me thinking about how I might lessen my impact on the environment even further.  I reckon that I'm in the 'could do better' brigade rather than 'the downright naughty' club.  On the plus side I haven't bought a carrier bag since the charge for them came in October, all my clothes get recycled to the charity shop and a fair proportion of the stuff that I buy is secondhand.  On the minus side that black bin with stuff that goes to landfill every fortnight has been full since I've moved into the house.  I put it down to the detritus from decorating.   And to my shame, food does go off on my watch.  Even though this is an occasional occurrence it seems inexcusable in a world where so many are hungry.

So there's room for improvement and I'm trying harder.  It's the usual stuff that you'll all know about - buying less food, using up what I've got and been canny with the freezer.  On the black bin front I reflect on what's going in there and whether it does have a use for someone, somewhere.  When it eventually stops raining there's a little hoard of stuff to go outside with a 'Free to A Good Home' sign. Mr Metrosexual did that with a wardrobe and it was snaffled within minutes!

And Lauren Singer can inspire me further.  The non recyclable trash that this amazing woman has generated over the last two years comfortably fits into a jam jar - and she can screw the lid on!   Her website 'Trash is For Tossers! has plenty of inspiration.  Maybe someday soon there will be nothing but recycling for the bin men to collect on rubbish day.


2 comments:

  1. Some weeks I'm so careful I have barely any rubbish, others, I chuck so much stuff awaits disgraceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel disgraceful at the current time! xx

      Delete