Friday, 6 November 2015

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling


Quilling is a craft form that I will probably never have a go at. I know my limitations where it comes to fiddliness.   I'm 100% sure that I'd end up with squishy paper and a gluey mess after I'd turned the air blue enough to fill several swear boxes to the brim. And I'll be honest.  It's never really been an expressive medium that's grabbed me by the throat and caused me to go WOW!  That was until I came across the work of American artist  Lisa Nilsson just the other day.


As someone who has to dabble with a smattering of knowledge about neuro-science as part of their working life I'm particularly taken by this section through the brain. It's much nicer than the scrappy poster that we've currently got up in the team office.  I hardly give that a second glance.   If this incredible piece of art were there instead I think I'd have trouble getting anything done.  I'd be too busy marvelling at its intricacy.

It's made up of a myriad of tiny rolls of Japanese mulberry paper, all painstakingly put together to form an anatomically accurate whole.  I love the way that the colours mirror the textbook drawings and the way that the pieces are presented.  If you'd like to find out more there's a rather thought provoking  TED Talk that features more of Lisa Nilsson's work.

4 comments:

  1. Hey from Australia! Just wanted to let you know your now part of my daily routine, alarm goes off, check in on what you & mean queen have been up to, then up, coffee machine on & start the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad to be part of your daily routine!

      Delete
  2. I could never be bothered with quilling either, too much faff for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete