Monday, 2 November 2015

The Other Way

It has been a perfectly productive weekend and a rather enjoyable one as well. Salty Dog stayed over on Friday and we headed off into town for supper at Simply Fish, my favourite haunt.  This is fish and chips at its finest, beautifully cooked and something a little different if you fancy.  I had gurnard in crispy batter. It was scrummy.

On Saturday morning I got into manly mode and upped tools.  There was a rotting back door in my garden. It's been there since I had it replaced with a boring old u-PVC one. The bloke forgot to take it away and my tenants hid it behind their shed.  I attacked it with a saw as it was too big to fit in a Citigo.  Then Salty Dog helped me to take it, along with a load of other rubbish, to the dump.  A job well done!  I was going to crack on with the decorating in the afternoon after she'd left but Mr Metrosexual and Ruff Stu persuaded me that I needed to go to the pub instead.  We sat on the harbour in the sunshine.

Sunday saw me painting the landing outside Louis' room, cleaning carpets  and building flatpacks.   I also fitted in a two hour walk.  The mist lent an air of peace to my excursion.  Now normally I head out in the direction of town.  This time though I trooped off east and got as far as Elberry Cove, allegedly a favourite haunt of Agatha Christie.    That ruined building is some 18th century aristocrat's bathing house.  It's bigger than my entire home!






4 comments:

  1. So there I am reading the latest post over on Frugal in Suffolk when my eye is drawn to a thumbnail sized photo to my right. That looks VERY familiar, I think to myself...sure enough Elberry cove where I spent many a day as a child and many an illicit party fuelled by cheap cider as a teenager. Sadly I no longer live in Brixham, but it was lovely to have a quick trip down memory lane - thanks Juliette :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have brought back good memories for you. We might be making some of our own in future given all those lovely beaches within walking distance of our house.

      Delete
  2. The walk from Churston Court down to Elberry cove and then round to Churston Cove and back out via the woods is a nice one and you can have a tipple back at the pub at the end! There's also a nice walk down through Galmpton along the edge of the Dart. I Lived in Brixham from the age of two until I went off to Uni, but my parents were still there until my mother passed away this June - it's a nice little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to do the first but striding out from my Furzeham based and I've done the Galmpton stroll when Red Mel lived there. There's so many beautiful walks around here. I'm looking forward to making them my own. x

      Delete