Thursday, 19 November 2015

What's Troubling Sidney Kidney

Photo: EK Kempf
Do you remember when I went to Wimbledon earlier this year and e-Laura roped  me into cooking what seemed like ten million vol au vents?  Oh okay I'm exaggerating but stories do tend to grow more elaborate with time.

The next day loads of us trooped down to a nearby hotel for breakfast.   During the meal, just as I was tucking into a nice fat sausage,  e-Laura's mum whipped her husband's recently removed kidney stones out of her handbag. Respect!  I might be known for grossing out softies with too much medical information but this surpasses anything that I've ever done or said.  I laughed my socks off.

I was reminded of the incident when I came across this, an image of a kidney stone taken by electron micrography.  Those delicate looking crystalline shards are really rather beautiful.

8 comments:

  1. They didn't bloody feel beautiful as they passed through my nether regions!! Most painful thing ever and I've had four children! Everyone asked me if I'd kept mine.....why the heck would I want to do that I ask you..... the photo makes it look like a thing of beauty, mine looked more like a twiglet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd keep them eitger. Mind you Louis might like them! x

      Delete
  2. My poor husband never finds kidney stones funny or pretty, and damn, they always show up on holidays even though they weren't invited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless! Don't show him this picture! x

      Delete
  3. Oh My goodness that photos is outstanding.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture almost makes you want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm See Mac 'n' Janet comment above Cro!

      Delete