Friday, 11 December 2015

Being an Arse: A Reflection

I spent some time on the phone last night with a friend who was distraught.  She done something and felt that she'd made a complete and utter fool of herself.  Consequently she was beating herself up with a rather large metaphoric stick.  Of course it was making things much worse.  Well it would, wouldn't it?

Now I'm not a particularly perfect role model when it comes to getting it right in life.  If I look back there's been some howlers.  And indeed sometimes I can still make an arse of myself, or be an arse.  There is a difference I think.  However I try to view myself in  an overall positive light rather judging myself by my behaviour in my 'off' moments.  My hope is that these will become less frequent over time as I embrace compassion consciously and try to live a life based on tenets such as kindness, sustainability and dignity.

So my message today is the same one that I gave to my friend last night.  I think she found it helpful. Be kind to yourself.  Sure there will be times when you will make a complete tit of yourself.   but don't let these define you.    And if you can muster up the lurve, cut others some slack as well.   Try not to  label them by those incidents where they've behaved badly.  For we are all human and actions and words that are less than 100% perfect stem from suffering.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, we all make a complete fool of ourselves from time to time- we are human. 'Be kind to yourself' is good advice and if we are cutting ourselves some slack it is easy to do so for others. I am listening to Leonard Cohen as I type this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post.... it's easy to lose a sense of perspective. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have doozy from yesterday that I plan to share. We can all be pretty hard on ourselves, so good to heed your advice. Your friend is lucky to have a smart friend to lift her up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my favourite saying. Be kind to yourself. Your friend is lucky to have a lovely friend like you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who has never made an arse of themselves at some point in time? It's part of life I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a rule in life, not to make other people's problems into my problems. This doesn't mean that I don't help people in need of solace; I just don't absorb any of their angst.

    ReplyDelete