Saturday, 5 December 2015

Every Girl Needs A Small Space


You know sometimes people asked your advice but have already made up their mind?  I got an excited call from Salty Dog on Thursday night.  'I'm in love.' she said.  Sensibly it turns out that the object of lust has wheels and isn't one of those incomprehensible blokey things that we're strangely drawn to in spite of their quirks.  This is it.  Like my own second home this is a Fiat Ducato but it's a van conversion rather than a factory built motorhome.  It's got swanky upholstery, plumbing, electrics, an awning and room for a porta-porti. And stickers to make it go faster.  On the downside Maff the Mechanic has taken one look, spotted rust, muttered about the need for welding and told Salty Dog not to touch it with a barge pole.  This is in spite of the bargain price requested from our friend who is selling it to raise funds for her dream cottage in Cornwall.

Here's a rather fuzzy interior shot. Salty Dog doesn't like the paint colour but is up for changing that. I'd go with a very pale grey myself to enhance the quality of the light in there. Salty Dog started dreaming the dream.  'I could take my nephew and niece away, nip over to Cornwall and France and even live in it if I had to.'  She baulked at the cost  to insure it but when you're new to this type of vehicle you've got to bite the bullet.  The price, of course, drops as you rack up driving experience.

'I'll sit on the fence.' I said, with my ultra-sensible hat on.   'Every girl needs a van and this one is well planned and equipped . But what do I really know about the ins and outs of vehicle maintenance?  I'd seriously be thinking about Maff's advice before going ahead'.

'So you think I should buy it then?' said Salty Dog. 'Good!'

4 comments:

  1. It looks good. Personally I'd prefer a horse drawn wagon; of the Gypsy variety. No insurance, no tax disc, no petrol, no limits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but the horse has upkeep costs!

      Delete
  2. Campervans are so expensive, the cheaper ones are very old, and rusty, you don't get much for your money. Personally I wouldn't touch a Fiat, Ford would be my choice. If Matt says no, then it's no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete