Sunday, 6 December 2015

Fudge and Beans

Four month of living here and there's been a sea change. Following  my gargantuan 750 mile tour of the UK. I arrived back on Sunday and, for the first time, thought 'Ah! I'm home!' Finally I'm starting to regard this house as my very own space to relax, create and feel comfortable sharing with the people that are close to me.  It's taken a while.

One of the things that I said I'd do this week was cook something that I hadn't before.  So in a moment I'll regale you with Salty Dog's signature bean dip that she knocks up at every gathering.  Whilst tasty it's not very pretty and hell I'm no food photographer.  So instead I thought I'd headline with a picture recording Louis' latest kitchen antics.  Those random splashes are not marks on your computer screen but the inevitable consequences of a twelve year old being let loose at a stove. More fudge is being made with Louis wielding that sugar thermometer that we bought a couple of weeks ago.  He's making a variant of this Walnut and Maple Syrup flavoured recipe substituting brazil nuts as they're a favourite of mine.  But this was the first of a few  fudgey batches. He wants to sell a whole load of the stuff at school for his house charities for animals and sick children.  Some pesky year 7 boy is beating him in his endeavour to individually raise the most money and that will not do!

Oh okay here's Salty Dog's famous bean dip.  I did warn you it's not very photogenic.  But I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, that it's jolly tasty.  It's versatile stuff.   As well as something to perk up crudites and lovely bread it would be great to fill a chimichanga or fajita or topping a jacket potato. It would also make a pretty acceptable substitute for the meat in a  veggie version of a shepherd or cottage pie.

It's dead easy.  Just fry up a chopped onion in a bit of oil.  Once this has softened add one tin each of baked beans and drained kidney beans that have been mashed with a fork or whizzed in a food processor.  Season with salt, pepper and paprika and grate a generous amount of cheese.  Just heat through and serve.  For those who don't losing their last shred of sophistication, follow my example.  It made a fabulous dunking dip for a home-made sausage roll!

4 comments:

  1. You are right…it is not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe - it is now in my book ready to be tried and tested - labelled Salty Dog's sicky dip!
    xx

    ReplyDelete