Monday, 7 December 2015

Match

Two of the most important men in my life are at odds.  Loved up himself, my brother thinks that I should hit the dating scene again given that I’d like someone around to grow old with. ‘You just have to drink coffee and chat!’  Louis isn’t so sure.  ‘I don’t want you to get hurt Mum.’ he told me whilst play fighting me. Given that he’s uncoordinated and I’d just narrowly avoided sustaining a healthy shiner, this utterance seemed tinged with irony.

When I tried online dating a couple of years ago, I largely lurked around the free sites.  There were regular blokes, seemingly looking for the same thing, a bit of commitment after we’d worked out that we could make each other laugh.   I have to say though there was an awful lot of geezers with an entirely different take on life.  For some strange reason I seemed to be particularly prone to attracting fundamentalist Christians from the southern reaches of the USA.  How they were drawn to someone so liberal in their politics and spirituality I’ll never know.  And then there was the bloke in the thong.  But we’ll quickly pass him by. There are some things that I don’t want to relive!

The general consensus is that, I’m more likely to find someone who’s serious about a relationship if  I bite the bullet, and eek! pay for a subscription.  After all an active life hanging out with my friends who comprise mostly of single women and gay and straight couples isn’t proving fruitful in spite of the fact that ‘I’m out there’.  So I’ve taken the plunge.  A few profile rewrites and  my ad was finally done and dusted just before lunchtime yesterday.   Sugar Plumb gave it the thumbs up. There’s a six month minimum subscription so I thought that it could run in the background whilst I got on with my life, doing up the house, sustaining the good relationships I’ve already got, immersing myself in a couple of exciting work projects….that kind of thing.


Many have visited. A few have ‘winked’.  There’s a fair few older guys who are close to my dad’s age and a spate of early thirty somethings who are looking for someone way more cougar-esque than me.   ‘What are you doing this evening, darlin’?’ inquired a keen 32 year old Plymouthian on Saturday night. ‘Eating fish and chips and making sweets with my son’ could have been my reply.  Instead I ignored him and the others.  I’d rather not get into conversations that will go nowhere. This tactic is about freeing energy not using it up. Let's see what happens.

15 comments:

  1. A dating site would frighten me to death. Surely there are any amount of clubs around you where things might progress a bit more naturally? Anyway, I wish you luck and no weirdos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've racked my brains but failed to come up with satisfactory local alternatives. May try sea kayaking anyway for its own sake in the spring.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oopps didn't mean to remove this. Must be that gremlin again! x

      Delete
    2. I will let you off this time! I was just trying to think what on earth I had written to be removed. I think I wished you good luck and praised your blogging!

      Delete
  3. Everyone uses dating sites these days so when my two daughters badgered me into giving it a try five years ago with great trepidation I agreed. I had been on my own for over 15 years with my four kids. It's time mum they said to get out there and have some fun all you do is work. I met my soulmate and have been happily married for the past two years. Dating sites are just another avenue for meeting new people. Going to a club is an avenue for meeting new people with no guarantee that things will progress any more naturally than a dating site. Give it a go stay safe and have fun I wish you all the best and I love your blog. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that it worked for you! x

      Delete
  4. Are you going to tell us which dating site, so we can have a read? You are brave. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you looked to see if there are any meet up groups in your area. This isn't a dating agency, more a way of meeting up with like minded people who share the same interests, but there is often a singles group for people who are looking for a relationship of sorts.

    Good luck anyway with the online site - you're much braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have but I'd view them as a way of meeting people in general rather than places I'd go to meet 'the one'. It puts me in mind of those women who used to go to car maintenance evening classes. Having said that, this might be a course that I'd be tempted to attend! x

      Delete
  6. The thought of dating again fills me with asolute horror! You are very brave taking this step. Mind you, if it's any comfort, my mum did it about 10 years ago and met a wonderful chap who was a fantastic companion right through to the end - she was 80 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story. I come across old people new love quite often. It warms the cockles of my heart.

      Delete
  7. Go for it.It could be a lot of fun.Hope you meet Mr Right.If I was on my own I would certainly give it a go.Nothing lost.

    ReplyDelete