Sunday, 13 December 2015

Read Different

A book arrived through the letterbox yesterday.  Woo hoo!  I'm allowing myself some literary purchases as reference material for work.   Well that's my excuse anyway.

It came with this bookmark with these thought provoking words:

'If you only read the books that everyone else is reading , then you can only think what everyone else is thinking'.  

Maybe this is one to bear in mind this Christmas if you're buying books as presents.  Ignore those bestsellers that are so heavily marketed and go 'off-piste'.  Or, next time you're in the library, seek out a forgotten title from a genre that you'd never normally consider.  Who knows what will happen?   Life changing potential is sometimes found by people who view something through a different lens than the one used by its normal audience.

With this in mind, I've strayed into the field of foreign literature and reserved 'Norwegian Wood' by Haruki Murakami.  It's from this Japanese novel that this quote was taken.

5 comments:

  1. I have a HUGE pile of books that need reading, but I never seem to have the time. I can see a New Year resolution being made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same resolution, but I started yesterday with a book about american native indians. So many things I did not know anything about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now there's an idea for future reading for myself. Thanks. x

      Delete
  3. I couldn't bear to read a 'celebrity' biography so read, instead, early 20th C women writers they are, almost without exception, beautifully written. And, if bought from Persephone books, are beautifully bound too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another idea! It seems that I need to spend a lot more of my time with my nose in a book. x

      Delete