Friday, 4 December 2015

The Heat Is On: Is It?

When it comes to house buying I reckon that I've sometimes taken longer to choose a skirt than the bricks and mortar around me that cost a five figure sum.  I go on the feel of a place rather than investigating the niggly details. Even though I'm loving my Brixham home more and more as stuff is getting straightened up, there's niggles that I didn't notice when I first looked around. Like the fact that, aside from  unused open fireplaces there's only two radiators to heat the large expanse of ground floor living space. Consequently with winter drawing in it's fairly nippy down there even though I've cranked the boiler up from its paltry eco setting.  It would help slightly if I worked out how to set the timer on the thermostat to come on before I get home. It's something that I'll try to get my head around over the weekend when my head isn't full of work mush

Red Mel says it's just the excuse that I need to fit that coveted woodburner but that's on the 'nice to have' rather than the 'necessary' list.  In the meantime  I've found this sound Energy Mythbusting advice from the Money Saving Expert.  I'll see if I can work my way through instigating the tips that don't happen to be old wives tales to make my house a little more toastie.

4 comments:

  1. My best ever heating discovery was the matching of a £3 electric timer with a £30 oil filled radiator. I set the timer for 20 mins before I get up, then the room is nice and warm ready for me (I also have a mini one in the bathroom). Frankly it's no different to central heating, but costs peanuts. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Useful to know. I thought timers were way more expensive than that.

      Delete
  2. We also have something like Cro's set up as we dont have any insulation at present. That is to come....

    I would like to chime in on the log burner. We have one. We have had one in the last 3 houses. depending on the model you buy, the instillation is quite steep. We are on oil here. and the house is particularily cold. It is nice to have when you want to heat the one room, although we have an 8 KW one. called Skagen I think. It suits the house and looks good. Now for the down part. Where to keep the logs. if you are to use it to actually help with the heating you will need a hefty wood store and to have logs delivered. We are lucky we have a large driveway where they can drop the load onto. We then have to cart it around the back. Next door to my bro, they have a burner in a terrace with a concrete yard and no real front garden (it is up steps away from the pavement) and then have to cart it through the house to the yard to store it. it is a complete faff as the log lorry drops it in the road and you know Devon roads, cars parked on both sides, so you are in the road moving them and hoping that no one hits you, that you can shift them before it rains, you are able to get them to leave them on the road and that no car has parked in front of your house.

    and biggest of all. Spiders live in log piles. lol

    it is lovely to look at, but if we had a modern home with a normal gas heating system I may plump for something that is cleaner.

    just my 2pence worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have something like Cro's set up as we dont have any insulation at present. That is to come....

    I would like to chime in on the log burner. We have one. We have had one in the last 3 houses. depending on the model you buy, the instillation is quite steep. We are on oil here. and the house is particularily cold. It is nice to have when you want to heat the one room, although we have an 8 KW one. called Skagen I think. It suits the house and looks good. Now for the down part. Where to keep the logs. if you are to use it to actually help with the heating you will need a hefty wood store and to have logs delivered. We are lucky we have a large driveway where they can drop the load onto. We then have to cart it around the back. Next door to my bro, they have a burner in a terrace with a concrete yard and no real front garden (it is up steps away from the pavement) and then have to cart it through the house to the yard to store it. it is a complete faff as the log lorry drops it in the road and you know Devon roads, cars parked on both sides, so you are in the road moving them and hoping that no one hits you, that you can shift them before it rains, you are able to get them to leave them on the road and that no car has parked in front of your house.

    and biggest of all. Spiders live in log piles. lol

    it is lovely to look at, but if we had a modern home with a normal gas heating system I may plump for something that is cleaner.

    just my 2pence worth

    ReplyDelete