Tuesday, 29 December 2015

The Smallest Room: Really!

There are real advantages about the unhurried culture here in Devon.  In general we are  people who aren't big on ambition as we want time for chillin' on the moor and at the beaches.  Our kids are not stress heads either.  When I first visited the grammar school with Louis the headmaster told us parents that many of our sons probably wouldn't make the grade for selective education in the South East.  The youngsters are too laid back and we ourselves are not pushy enough.  There is more to life than raising an investment banker.

There's some downsides too.  Our tradesmen are exasperating. The man who diligently measured up my entire house in September to quote for decoration and to install a bathroom hasn't come back although I've been told on the grapevine that he's working on it.   Also too is the carpet fitter who advised me that I needed to buy new carpet to replace the one where I had a massive paint spillage when I first moved in.   'Leave it on the stairs and I'll get the spare key from Mr Metrosexual' he said.  It's been there for two months.

In desperation I've turned to the big guys to speed up parts of my home makeover.  Another friend was pleased with her Wickes kitchen so I thought I'd give them a go re: the bathroom.  I also thought they could tackle this, the downstairs loo.  Leeroy at the Call Centre ran through his scripted questions.  'Would I like a shower in there?'  I chortled.  'Look' I said 'It would be great if I could just shut the door when I have a wee!'.

Last week the bathroom planner came around. He was really helpful.   Ideas for a beautiful place to relax and bathe upstairs  are forming.  'I'm sure you've seen rooms this size before'.  I said as I lead him downstairs to inspect the downstairs loo.  I have never seen anything like it!' he said.  'And we don't stock anywhere near as small as the sink you've got in there anyway.  That's the one that I bruise myself on as I brush past it.  The toilet roll holder and towel rail have given up the ghost as they've taken a battering from body parts so often.

A corner toilet and basin might be the solution that I need but for the moment I'll have to live with Grimville.  That isn't even a window to the outside but hides a blocked off wall.  I've thought of a temporary solution to the problem with privacy though.  Maybe a sign saying 'Sit Very Far Back' will suffice.

8 comments:

  1. We have waited YEARS for certain tradesmen to turn up. Mostly they come, leave a pile of something, then go on holiday for several months. It happens everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Cro - you've given me the first giggle of the day even though you haven't enthused me with hope! x

      Delete
  2. We have a very small downstairs loo, and a slightly " different" basin. It is very square, slightly set into the stud wall, and therefore only sticks out by 17 cm. ( I have just measured it!) I could send you a photo if you let me know your email. I believe you can see my email address? We have been waiting a month now for a quote for building work in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your trying to keep expenses low, but with the tiny house movement, someone in internet land has bound to have found options for tiny bathrooms, but probably quite pricey because of the unique need. I think the corner facings stool idea is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can get a toilet with the sink built into the cistern. your hand washing is the water that flushes the loo. have a door that opens outwards or a bifold door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have already considered the sink in cistern and the door already opens outwards/bifold. Sadly they don't solve the problem of not being able to shut the door. xxx

      Delete
    2. why does the door not shut? has it swollen up?

      Delete
    3. Because unless you sit right at the back of the bowl your legs stick out too far! x

      Delete